Thursday, February 19, 2009

Scarlet's Essay

Scarlet Caruso
English 9
Hamilton Salsich
2/23/09
Music:
An essay on the effects of music in Shakespeares's The Tempest and in my life
TS:We all have something that calms us. SD:It could be a fresh cup of coffee in the morning or a kiss on the head from your mother before going to sleep. SD:There is something that makes us hide every bad quality we posses and makes us seem kind and calm. CS:Caliban's something is music.(SHORT SENTENCE)
TS:Caliban, a horrid creature, is only calm when his music is playing.(APPOSITIVE) SD:Caliban loves music and music loves Caliban. (CHAISMUS) CM:The music, "gives[s] delight and hurt[s] not." CM:He loves nothing more than his "sounds and sweet airs". SD:Caliban believes that music can make anything happen. CM:The music makes him happy and let's him dream while asleep. CM:He even believes, " the clouds [...] would open and show riches" when the island's music plays. CS:To Caliban nothing is better than this music of his and he absolutely loves it. (COMPOUND -COMPLEX SENTENCE)

TS:Caliban is not the only one that is affected my music, we all are. SD:I truly love music. CM:It makes me dance, makes me sing, makes me joyous. CM:When listening to a good song, I can't help but dance around. SD:I only need a song I know well, to start belting out the words. CM:Some songs make me feel so intensely, it's mind blowing. CM:For example, "Across The Universe" by The Beatles has the ability to bring me to tears. CM:As I sit listening to the winding melodies and the beautiful lyrics I can't help but be so amazed that I begin to cry. SD:Music will always be a part of what I do. CS:I, like Caliban, believe, "[the] thousand twangling instruments" can make anything happen.
TS:Everyone needs something that makes them relax. SD:For Caliban and I, music is that something. SD:Without music, without those graceful tunes, without our beautiful instruments we would both have nothing.(PARRALLEL PREPOSITIONAL ) CS:Anything could be calming to someone but for Caliban and I, music is that drug, that beautiful oasis that brings us total happiness.

No comments: