Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Scarlet's Essay!

Scarlet Caruso
English 9
Mr. Salsich
04/08/09

Courage in our Lives
An essay on Anne Sexton's "Courage" and courage in my life:

Courage is a wonderful thing and a strange thing.(ANTITHESIS) It helps you through tough times and can often amaze you. I see it in my life everyday. Anne Sexton perfectly describes what courage is in her poem “Courage”.

Courage is everywhere. In the poem “Courage”, Anne Sexton says, “It is in the small things we see it.” For example, getting up each day takes a lot of courage. It is courageous to get out of bed and not worry about what the day has in store for you. We can also find courage in love. It takes a lot of audacity(FAST) to love. And when in love you’ll do anything for that person and then “[your] courage [is] not courage, it [is] love” You can find courage in sadness too because you need courage to face grief. If you lose a loved one, a lot of bravery is required to accept your pain. It takes a lot of courage to give your sadness, “a back rub” and to care for it. Courage is everywhere. It is in love and loss and in that first step in the morning.(POLYSYNDETON)

In my life, I often witness courage. I constantly witness it from my best friend Anna. I find that she has the courage to do most anything. From making dignified announcements at morning meeting to kindly asking French strangers where the bathrooms are. She has courage that I can only dream of. Anna’s courage is a simple kind of courage. The kind of courage that only shows itself to you when you truly know her. Her courage is so beautifully simple. Finally, Anna Holt has the courage to be happy. Whether we are talking over the phone or taking a walk down Barnes road she is completely happy. Most teenagers would find something to complain about those situations. Like, “I can’t hear you and my phone battery is about to die.” Or “my feet really hurt!” But Anna let’s the happiness swirl around her. I often find it contagious when Anna is happy because you can see that she is not scared of the glee she is feeling. Anna is a perfect example of the courage I see around me everyday.


Courage is a magnificent and bizarre(FAST) thing. It is everywhere we look, whether it’s taking the courage to make it through the sadness of losing a loved one or maybe just being courageous enough to be perfectly happy. (LOOSE SENTENCE) Courage is all around us, helping and saving and trying.(POLYSYNDETON)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Scarlet,
Its plain to see the courage you write with. One of my favorite lines was "It is in love and loss and in that first step in the morning." I liked you're repetition of the word courage, though be careful about overdoing it. I'm not sure that bizarre is a FAST word, as I believe it is commonly used. You execute your writing tools almost effortlessly for a great read. Good job!
-Kimo

pverhoeff said...

SCARLET!
Great start! I agree with Kimo though, try to find an apt FAST word from the 100 SAT words. However, I enjoyed your opening paragraph, it definitely hooked me.