Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Kate's Post

Kate Scott
May 26, 2009
Mr. Salsich
English 9
Comfort:
An Essay on a Poem and my Life
One simple basic need that humans seek is comfort.  In the poem "Tintern Abbey" Wordsworth finds his comfort in his memories.  I can imagine that in five years  I will also  feel such comfort in my memories from Pine Point.  
In "Tintern Abbey", Wordsworth talks about taking comfort in the memories of his times spent at Tintern Abbey.  A beautiful mountain side village where he spent time.  Upon his return, though glad to be back, he quickly realized he never left.  Wordsworth, after an absence of five years while traveling, has kept the memories alive by using them to lift his spirits.  In his "hours of weariness" he thought back to the comforting memories from Tintern Abbey.  When Wordsworth uses the words, "Tranquil restoration" he is referring to his sense of peace that comes from these memories and are probably "the best portion of a goods man's life".  He also refers to memories that are not physical but "acts [o]f kindness and love".  These memories expressed his overall feelings he had at Tintern Abbey.  
Five years from now when I visit Pine Point I'm sure the comfort that I have experienced in these walls will come back.  Comfort will come to me in different ways. Seeing familiar faces throughout the campus, visiting the fields, will all remind me of my time at Pine Point.  As I travel through the hallways, memories will flood back, and they will bring a sense of comfort that I had for 12 years.  My memories will always be with me whether I am physically there or not.  Like Wordsworth, my memories can rejuvenate (FAST) me when the pressures of everyday life gets to me.  When I'm not meeting with success I can shut my eyes and go back to when I was racing down a field in field hockey, hearing the cheers from the crowd, feeling the warm sun, as I score a goal (PURPOSEFUL REPETITION).  Comfort, a basic emotion, that all humans need and long for, is easily in my grasp (APPOSITIVE).
Throughout a human's life they search for the comfort that Wordsworth speaks of in his poem.  Not many people are as fortunate as I to have had the opportunity to attend a school that created such memories and provided so much comfort.  Wordsworth points out that comfort can be found in memories from places visited long ago.  His message will help me throughout my life when I'm seeking and in need of comfort.   

SE:F ASSESSMENT-
1.  This year I have been trying to make my writing more graceful.  
2.  I think this essay is much more graceful then my past essays.  I worked very hard on it, and it payed off.  
3.  I had trouble on making sure my tools are correct.  

No comments: